Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My Child

You’re so saturated with life’s explosive energy
The race for maturity has begun and you’re in the lead
My day of grind and drudgery never proceeds at the pace desired
Your bright smile makes a frigid day warm and slow day end

Give me that bear hug and squeeze me tight
I’ll not let go until your affectionate kiss follows
Allow my arms to hold you just a few seconds more
Moments like this don’t last, tomorrow steals today

“Daddy, want to play with me?” Sweet words indeed
Choo-choo trains and building blocks await me
Farm tractors and speedy fire trucks trumpet my name
There’s work to be done in the land of make-believe

Dreamer of dreams that only your eyes behold
Unrestrained imagination that I can no longer comprehend
Questions of why and what encircle my constricted intellect
Occasionally questions remain unanswered and just because satisfies

“Daddy, want to read to me?” More sweet words
We lye on the bed and I expose the pages of a fairy tale
That ol’ dependable Cat in the Hat came back
He opened my mind and now he visits you

The promise of night comes way to rapid
I’m somewhat saddened to see the sun drift to sleep
I know your energy will soon return tomorrow
And I thank the Lord for the challenge ahead of me

“Time for bed little one and say your prayer”
Dreams are ready and waiting to take my place
“Nite-nite daddy, I love you,” your sleepy voice whispers
“I love you too, my child, I love you too”

2 comments:

Jason h said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, just wow!!!
It just keeps getting better.