Thursday, July 12, 2007

Should I?

Should I scream at the world or hold it all in?
Walk around town with a fake silly grin
Play musical chairs with only myself
Talk to the mirror and no one else

Should I cry out to God and ask Him why?
Everyone’s blessed with permission to fly
I’m in the valley, struggling it seems
While everyone else is living their dreams

Should I camp at Your door and constantly pray?
Pound on the glass day after day
Blessings like rivers seem damned by your hand
And I’m told to wait as it’s part of your plan

Should I seek some advice from others I know?
And try not to let all this jealousy show
Rivers and rain drops they all work together
I guess there’s no truth in never say never

Should I run through the hills till my body gives out?
Curse at the wind and expose all my doubt
Why is the reason so secret and locked
Why is my boat never loosed from the dock

Should I wave at the sea till my ship comes in?
My hand in the air and the sun on my skin
How long should I wait, how long should I pine
My love never comes, my light never shines

Should I…?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, these are great words. You have a gift for capturing real emotion in your writing and describing instantly recognizable feelings. If these are lyrics, they need some music!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve. This song describes how I have often felt. There's this strange dichotomy between how things should be and how things are, which creates pain. That pain seems to be the thing which God uses to crucify me. The pain causes me to abandon my own way and surrender to God, even though it was "God's work" that I wanted to do. Maybe I wanted to do God's work for my own glory. Maybe the greatest test of whether or not my life has really been crucified is when God says no to something that makes no sense to me. I suppose he can do that because he is, after all, God.

What is a person supposed to do with all the longing? The boredom? The Ho Hum days? Just feeling insignigicant? Love, Dian