Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Pew

By Steve Conley

Scripture: None

Props: Two chairs

Cast: Two actors

(Actor 1 enters and sits in a chair facing the audience. Actor 2 enters and stands beside Actor 1 looking at him/her)

Actor 1: (Looking up to Actor 2) Oh, I’m sorry, do you need to get through?

Actor 2: I can see you are new here.

Actor 1: Yes, I am.

Actor 2: Welcome!

Actor 1: Thank you!

Actor 2: I hate to be rude but I really need to let you know that you are sitting in my space.

Actor 1: Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know this was your space. Are you sure this is the right pew?

Actor 2: Yes, I’m very sure. I’ve been going here since I was a small child.

Actor 1: Wow, that long huh?

Actor 2: Oh yes, and I’ve been sitting in this same pew all my life. I can get to this pew blind folded.

Actor 1: Blind folded huh?

Actor 2: Yes.

Actor 1: That’s amazing.

Actor 2: So?

Actor 1: So, what?

Actor 2: Are you going to move so I can sit down?

Actor 1: I would but I can’t.

Actor 2: Why is that?

Actor 1: Because God led me here to this pew. I fully believe in following the will of God so I wouldn’t want to disappoint God and sit somewhere that He didn’t want me to sit.

Actor 2: Will of God?

Actor 1: Yes. The will of God.

Actor 2: I don’t believe it was His will to have you sit here.

Actor 1: Why do you think that?

Actor 2: Because I didn’t feel the Spirit leading me to move.

Actor 1: Really? I find that strange.

Actor 2: Why?

Actor 1: I feel God moving me all the time.

Actor 2: Well, God hasn’t moved me in years. Like I said, I’ve been in the same spot all my life.

Actor 1: Perhaps you should step out on faith and try it.

Actor 2: Try what?

Actor 1: Moving.

Actor 2: Move on faith?

Actor 1: Yes, sometimes He would like us to take that first step.

Actor 2: That just wouldn’t be the right thing to do.

Actor 1: To step out on faith?

Actor 2: Yes, faith has nothing to do with it.

Actor 1: I beg to differ. Faith has everything to do with it.

Actor 2: Listen, I know you are a visitor here so I know you wouldn’t want to start out on the wrong foot.

Actor 1: Oh no. I would never want to rock the boat. But sometimes God has us to go into uncharted waters. You know, to step out of our comfort zone.

Actor 2: Yes, I would agree, but...

Actor 1: Good, I’m glad you agree with me on that.

Actor 2: No, that’s not what I mean.

Actor 1: So what do you mean?

Actor 2: Well, I don’t know. I’m not sure I remember what we were talking about.

Actor 1: Stepping out.

Actor 2: Oh yes. You were going to move, right?

Actor 1: I can’t.

Actor 2: Oh yes, God told you to sit here.

Actor 1: Yes, He told me this pew was empty.

Actor 2: No, it’s never empty. This is where I sit.

Actor 1: Well...

Actor 2: You don’t mean?

Actor 1: I would never say that.

Actor 2: I didn’t think so.

Actor 1: Perhaps we should pray about it?

Actor 2: Pray about it? I don’t need to do that!

Actor 1: So you don’t pray?

Actor 2: Yes, I pray, but I don’t need to pray about this.

Actor 1: Well, what if you were to sit over there (pointing)?

Actor 2: I couldn’t do that. That’s Sister Sue’s seat.

Actor 1: Well what about over there (pointing)?

Actor 2: No, that’s Brother Bob’s seat!

Actor 1: Sounds like all the seats are taken. Now I know how Joseph and Mary felt.

Actor 2: No, there’s plenty of room.

Actor 1: I’m not sure about that. No faith, no stepping out, no prayer, no humility, and no room.

Actor 2: I’m not sure I understand just what you mean.

Actor 1: Well, you spoke about being blind folded.

Actor 2: Yes I did, but...

Actor 1: Perhaps you should remove the one you’re wearing?

Actor 2: I beg your pardon. I’m not...

Actor 1: No sir..., I beg your pardon.... I believe this is your seat.

(Actor 1 gets up and exits and Actor 2 sits down)

(If you use... Give credit where credit is due)

No comments: