Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Sheep and the Goats

By Steve Conley

Scripture: Matthew 25:31-46

Props: Bible, chair, trunk, crown, globe or map, signs (see below), TV dinner box, can of soda, jacket and bandage.

Cast: Two actors

Actor 1: Good afternoon everyone.  We would like to demonstrate to you Matthew 25:31-46, The Sheep and the Goats.

Actor 2: How are we going to do that?

Actor 1: We are going to act out the scripture.

Actor 2: WE are?

Actor 1: Well, let me clarify. I’m going to read the scripture and you are going to act it out.

Actor 2: How come you get to read and I have to act it out?

Actor 1: Because you are so strong and in shape and I just don’t know if I can do all of the manly stuff.

At this point Actor 2 comes forward and flexes his muscles while Actor 1 steps behind Actor 2 and to the side and laughs behind Actor 2’s back.

Actor 2: You know I suppose you are right.

Actor 1: Yes, of course. Here are all your props you will need to act everything out. (Points to the trunk behind them)

Actor 2: Ok, I’m ready.

Actor 1: I’ll stand over here and read the scripture.

Actor 2: Ok, take it away.

Actor 1: 31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.

(Actor 2 get a folding chair and sets it in the center of the stage. He grabs a crown from the trunk and places it on the chair.)

Actor 1: 32All the nations will be gathered before him,

(Actor 2 grabs a globe or map of the world from the trunk and places it in front of the chair.)

Actor 1: and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

(Actor 2 grabs some signs from the trunk. One saying SHEEP and the other saying GOATS. He places these signs on either side of the chair.)

Actor 1: (looking at Actor 2) You are doing such a good job!

Actor 2: (acting a little winded) Thanks! Are we done yet?

Actor 1: No, we have plenty more. 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

(Actor 2 gets a sign from the trunk that says, YOUR INHERITANCE, THE KINGDOM and places it to the far right of the stage.)

Actor 1: 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,

(Actor 2 grabs a TV dinner from the trunk and looks around… seeing there is no one to give it to he goes into the audience and gets a volunteer and bring them up on the stage and hands them the TV dinner to hold.)

Actor 1: (looking at Actor 2) Very good idea.

Actor 2: Thank you.

Actor 1: I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,

(Actor 2 goes to the trunk and gets a can of soda and hands it to the volunteer.)

Actor 1: I was a stranger and you invited me in,

(Actor 2 grabs a sign from the trunk (with string attached) that says, STRANGER and places the sign around the volunteer’s neck and then gives him/her a hug.)

Actor 1: 36I needed clothes and you clothed me,

(Actor 2 grabs a sweater or jacket from the trunk and places it on the shoulders of the volunteer.)

Actor 1: I was sick and you looked after me,

(Actor 2 grabs a bandage and wraps it around the volunteer)

Actor 1: I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

(Actor 2 grabs a sign from the trunk that says, JAIL and hands it to the volunteer and hugs him/her.)

Actor 1: 37"Then the righteous will answer him,

(Actor 2 grabs a sign from the trunk that says, RIGHTEOUS and holds it in front of him and mimics what Actor 1 is about to read.)

Actor 1: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Actor 1: You have done a great job!

Actor 2: Thank you. Are we finished?

Actor 1: Oh no, there’s more. 41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

(Actor 2 grabs a sign from the trunk that says, ETERNAL FIRE and places in on the stage at the far left.)

Actor 1: 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat,

(Actor 2 takes away the TV dinner from the volunteer and places it back in the trunk.)

Actor 1: I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,

(Actor 2 takes away the soda from the volunteer and places it back in the trunk.)

Actor 1: 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in,

(Actor 2 takes away the STRANGER sign and places it back in the trunk.)

Actor 1: I needed clothes and you did not clothe me,

(Actor 2 takes away the sweater and places it back in the trunk.)

Actor 1: I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

(Actor 2 takes away the bandages and the JAIL sign from the volunteer.)

Actor 1: 44"They also will answer,

(Actor 2 mimics what Actor 1 is about to read.)

Actor 1: 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

(Actor 1 then points that Actor 2 should walk over to the ETERNAL FIRE sign. Actor 2 shakes his/her head NO!)

Actor 1: Come on you neglected the hungry, the thirsty, the cold, the sick and those in prison. You have to go here!

(pointing to the sign)

Actor 2: I don’t want to go over there. I want to go over there!

(pointing to the other sign)

Actor 1: So you’re telling me that you are willing to follow what Jesus commanded us to do and that if we do it to one of these (point to volunteer) we are doing it for Him?

Actor 2: Yes, that exactly what I’m saying!

Actor 1: I’m proud of you. That’s what I want to do also. So, let’s go out into the world and follow God’s command together.

Actor 2: (looking to audience) Are you willing to join us?

Actor 1: Let us all follow His command.

(Exit the stage along with your volunteer.)


(If you use... Give credit where credit is due)

No comments: