Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Saved!

By Steve Conley

Scripture: Eph. 2:8,9

Props: Phone

Cast: Actor 1 (A1), Actor 2 (A2)

(A1 is already on stage. A2 enters making a phone call)

A1: Who are you calling?

A2: Grace.

A1: Grace who?

A2: You know Grace. She lives down the street from you.

A1: Oh, that Grace. Why are you calling her?

A2: I need to call Grace so she can get in touch with Faith.

A1: Faith who?

A2: You know Faith. That’s Graces’ friend.

A1: So you’re calling Grace, so she can call Faith…

A2: So I can be saved.

A1: Saved from whom, from what?

A2: To get the gift!

A1: Gift?

A2: The gift of God.

A1: So you are calling Grace, to call Faith, to be saved and get the gift?

A2: Yep, I thought I might be able buy it, maybe get a job, but this seems to be the only way. He’s not hiring right now.

A1: He’s not.

A2: Yep, no works.

A1: Forgive me, but I think I’m a little bit confused.

A2: Sorry about the confusion.

A1: Well?

A2: Well what?

A1: Will you explain it to me?

A2: Ok, I was reading the Bible last night and I got to the part where it talks about how we need to be saved by Grace through Faith…

A1: Hold on!

A2: I thought you wanted…

A1: No need to finish. I already know what you are going to say and I want to correct you before you make a mistake.

A2: Well thanks!

A1: That is not what that means. Grace is not the girl down the street and faith is not her friend.

A2: Sure their friends. I’ve seen them together.

A1: No, what the Bible is speaking about is grace such as God’s grace. Let me explain it to you.

A2: Ok.

A1: When a person works an eight-hour day and receives a fair day's pay for his time, what is that called?

A2: That would be a wage.

A1: Good. When a person competes in a race and wins a trophy, what is that called?

A2: That would be a prize.

A1: Good. So, when a person receives recognition for his long service or high achievements, what is that called?

A2: An award?

A1: That’s great! But when a person is not capable of earning a wage, can win no prize, and deserves no reward - yet receives such a gift anyway - that is a good picture of God's unmerited favor. This is what a Christian means when we talk about the grace of God.

A2: But what about faith?

A1: Simple. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the sign that the things not seen are true.

A2: So even though I can’t see it I must believe it. I do that by faith.

A1: That’s right.

A2: But what about works?

A1: Well, God doesn’t want you to have to do anything. The verse says, “not buy works, o that no one can boast.” If you think you can do something that would earn you something you might boast about it. God doesn’t want you to do that. A gift is free and doesn’t cost you anything.

A2: So what is it that I accept?

A1: Him

A2: Him?

A1: Yes. God wants you to accept His Son. To believe by faith that God sent Jesus to this earth to live a sinless life and to die on a cross for our sins. You must accept that, believe that.

A2: Oh, I do!

A1: Here’s the good part. After three days had passed God raised Him from the dead and brought Him back to heaven where He is preparing a place for those who have accepted Him as Lord and Savior.

A2: But how do I do that? Accept Him?

A1: It’s simple. You must say a prayer, asking God to forgive your sins, repenting of your sins and believing what I have just told you.

A2: I would really like to do that.

A1: Well, we can do that right here. But you must do it. I can’t do it for you.

A2: Ok.

(Actors kneel and A2 prays to receive Christ)

A1: Congratulations!

A2: That felt great!

A1: Come with me and I’ll explain more about salvation and baptism.

(Actors exit)

(If you use... give credit where credit is due)

No comments: